Monday, May 4, 2009

The Year We Make Contact...

As of right now, I’m watching 2010: The Year We Make Contact, which is the sequal to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Those who had made the movie tried to make it in a sense that the United States and the U.S.S.R. were still involved in the Cold War. I just got done watching the part in the movie where they try “aero-braking.” There is a part where the elder United States’ doctor attempts to make it through the extreme braking techniques the Russians use. What they attempt to do they call aero-braking in the movie, that is, using the atmosphere of a planet to their advantage. While I am no scientist and could therefore not tell you if this was possible or not, I did find it interesting that the director included, in this exact scene, a moment where a Russian member of the space team, apparently a young, female, naïve member, comes to the United States team member as a form of comfort, most likely as a way to show that we can come together in peace.

In the vein of the movie: I wish I had a young, female, Russian cosmonaut to come hug me in times of dire straights. That would make me feel better no matter what was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment